Deborah Shadovitz — Author/Writer
“Deborah is one of those freelancers that every editor treasures: someone whose work is accurate, polished, and thoroughly thought-out and fact-checked.
If Deb makes a claim, comment, or statement in an article, you don't have to spend your own sweet time fact-checking it — it'll be correct.
Believe me, when editing a technical, detail-filled article, the ability to fully trust that your author has done her homework is a great feeling.
- Rik Myslewski, Editor-in-Chief of MacAddict magazine 2001-2006
My Writing Focus
Since around 1993 I have specialized in writing about how to use Apple's Macintosh, the internet and web, and software (Mac & Windows). My travel and teaching background meld with my writing skills to provide a unique perspective that provides clear understandings. When you need words that make computer-use easy to understand, or to clarify issues concerning computers and the internet, please consider me.
In 2007, I also officially entered the general lifestyle writing arena. I love the Mac and I love tech, but there's so much more I wanted to be out doing. This also gave me the opportunity to write about travel again.
If you need a piece on travel perhaps I can help. As you'll learn on my travel pages, I traveled like few Americans ever do, living within cultures of the world. I've also lived and worked in several states as an adult, and crossed the US on my own 2½ times.
Other words written? Ask.
I also love rising to the challenge of helping people find the right words for any legitimate message someone needs to impart. I'll give you an honest answer about what I can do for you.
...I truly respect your writing. When I sit down to read a book by you, I know I'm going to understand what I'm reading, almost as if you were sitting right in front of me teaching me (as hokey as that sounds, it's true!). Thanks for being such an awesome writing and making my Mac experience all the richer because of your skill.
- Charley Tiggs, Consultant
Review: Adobe Dreamweaver C5.5, October 2010
MacCreate- contributing writer, 2010
- Add Your Own Widgets to Your iWeb Website
- Adding Lines and Arrows in Pages
- Copy and Paste Image Styles in Pages
- Floating Text Boxes on a Word Processor Page in Pages
- Introducing Pages Shapes
- Introducing the Mighty Morphing Shapes in Pages
- Layer Order in Pages
- Masking Images With Shapes
- Matching Colors Between Documents
- Rotating Objects in Pages
- Using Pages Instant Alpha Tool
- Wrapping Text Around Images in a Pages Word Processing Document
MacCentral.com, Mac Efficiency 101 column, Nov 1998 - March 2001
Magazine & Newspaper
Valley Life magazine - Editor
~several issues, many articles including these short pieces and these longer pieces.
~Travel: Big Bear Lake Summer Break (pdf, opens in a new window/tab)
~Travel: Rafting the Kern & staying in Kernville (pdf, opens in a new window/tab)
~Travel: Malibu (pdf, opens in a new window/tab)
~Travel: Redondo Beach (missed ValleyLife so you'll find it online here in 3 parts, opening in a new window/tab)
Macworld magazine (print) & website
Note: Some of these Macworld items appeared in print as well as online.
- Gems: GlimmerBlocker 1.3.4 - May 24, 2009
- Gems: Letter Opener 2.1.0 - May 31, 2009
- Gems: rooSwitch 1.5 - June 15, 2009
- Gems: Relaunch 1.3.9 - May 29, 2009
- Gems: ManyCam 1.0 - June 3, 2009
- SiteGrinder 2 Pro - April 13, 2009
- Software Review: iWeb '09 - Feb 5, 2009
- Software Review: Freeway 5 Pro - Sept 12, 2008
- First look: GoLive CS2 June 2005 (publshed in print & online in April)
Mac|Life magazine (formerly MacAddict), Contributing Editor
~Learn: The Ins and Outs of RAM - January 2008
MacAddict magazine, Contributing Editor, contributing since March 2002
- Sync Your Mac! - December 2005
- 4th Annual Geek Quiz, (ToC) 26-31 - September 2005
- 46 Bugs (and How to Squash Them), (ToC) p16-27 - August 2005
- Get Info column commentary, User Groups - October 2004
- Unlock iLife feature (ToC online) - May 2004
- Panther: Worth Every Penny (ToC online)- Jan 2004
- Be Prepared: Disk Utilities Explained (ToC online) - March 2003
- The Truth, Mac vs PC (ToC online) - December 2002
- Review of ThinkFree Office - November 2002
- Software on The Cheap (Cover online) - September 2002
Picked your Mac Addict issue and it is phenomenal!!!
You did it up most righteously.
~Michael D. Mccarty, Storyteller
SBS Digital Design, first feature October 2004
O'Reilly Network, GoLive features, since March 2002
Mac Design magazine, (now Layers) Columnist covering GoLive How-to, Tips and Q&A, along with misc news and features for the entire run of the magazine (except it's first month) from 2001 - 2005.
ComputerUser monthly newspaper format, Contributing Editor, June 1998 - Dec 2000
NetProfessional magazine: Feature writer, 1997
MacHome Journal magazine: features & graphics, 1996
The International Assignment, travel newsletter: travel tips, 1987
LAM, London's Alternative Magazine: NYC travel feature, 1986
Adobe GoLive 5 Bible, December 2000 (Award-winning)
AppleWorks For Dummies, Coauthored, April 1999
I'll make it easy for you. If you use GoLive 5 for web design, go buy a copy of Debbie's book. Whatever you pay for it, you'll get it back many fold.
If there's one thing I do recommend Adobe should do: bundle Debbie's book to complement your manuals! Combined they will make a very nice package.
-Review by Rockland PC Users Group (continued)
ClarisWorks Office For Dummies, Nov 1997
Contributed to a few other books including:
- 50 Water Adventures To Do Before You Die!
Behind-the-scenes contributor for the Transit the Panama Canal Adventure
UK & Kindle release: September 11, 2014
US release: March 2015
- My iMac Book by Andy Gore et al.
- iMac & iBook: I Didn't Know You Can Do That
- Acrobat Master Class by Pattie Belle Hastings.
- Internet: The Complete Reference, 2nd edition,
by Margaret Levine-Young.
Deborah is a resourceful and highly gifted writer who empowers the users to maximize the use of programs like Microsoft Office.
-Jeffrey Glettner, Computer Consultant
- Lakeshore Learning Materials: Many guides, 1994
- On Guard Administrator's Guide, 1995
- WebFM manual, 1996
- Lessons and user guides for clients
Your writing style is excellent - very simple, no $20 words, cuts to the chase, no going off on tangents.
We appreciate that. It saves precious time we can spend on other things.
-Charles A. Rabalais, CPC; President, Information Technology Consultants
American Youth Hostel, Santa Monica, CA: created & authored travel faire materials
UJA-Federation, NYC, NY: Designed & authored brochures and marketing material.
(Also created audio/visual materials and helped with seasonal themes.)
JIA, London, England: marketing material
Tour boat, Bodrum Turkey: marketing material
Jewish Center, Sydney Australia: marketing material
Board of Jewish Deputies, Sydney Australia: marketing material
Chiropractic Center, Sydney Australia: marketing material
PR firm, Hobart, Australia: marketing material
Life Off Campus Organization, Oswego, NY: educational material
If you're interesting in having me write a piece or column for you, please send a writing request.
Please let me know what you have in mind, what your resources are, and your timeframe.
PS: My resume also provides details on some of these jobs.